Categories
Etsy How-to Etsy SEO

Why good Etsy Keywords Should be Your First Focus

Etsy presents an opportunity for business owners of all sizes and types to build their storefronts by selling and marketing their products online. But like all commercial endeavors, it’s important to remember there are likely others interested in bolstering their brand as well. How do you capture the largest part of your market and not get swallowed up by competitors? It all starts with keywords.

Who Doesn’t Want More Organic Traffic To Their Shop?

Search remains the leading way to attract organic traffic to your shop. Currently, search accounts for over 75% of traffic to Etsy listings. The other 25% is split between direct traffic, social traffic, and Email marketing. An Etsy shop which is not optimized to use relevant and popular keywords is sure to miss out on the sales that search drives.

The two most significant factors you can control are the use of keyword phrases in your tags and title. For best results, it is essential to match the keyword phrases in your tags and titles. By doing so, you’re telling Etsy those keywords are the ones that best describe your listing. It will give your listing an edge over others in search results for that phrase. You probably won’t be able to match every single one of your keywords in your title and tags so make sure to choose the most relevant and best performing ones.

Do Your Research for Good Etsy Keywords

Hopefully, before starting any online venture, you’ve done some research to confirm there is an actual demand for the items you are selling. If there is low Etsy search and engagement volume for the terms you’re creating, don’t be surprised if you see lackluster results. Being the first to launch an entirely new category where none existed can be an expensive and time-consuming proposition. Without proof of performance, the road to success can be long and bumpy. All you need to do is watch Shark Tank to learn about the obstacles entrepreneurs are likely to face.

If you lack a strong background in creating Etsy listings or optimizing your Etsy shop, here are some tips and best practices straight from Etsy. If you need help understanding which keywords are the best ones to target, we’ve got you covered.

Utilize Long Tail Keyword in Titles

Shorter keywords generate more searches and sometimes more traffic. Even though this sounds like a good thing, it doesn’t necessarily translate to sales. Long tail keywords (ones that are more descriptive) are more likely to bring sales than their shorter counterparts.

This is because people who search short and more generic keywords aren’t sure what they want. They begin their quest for the perfect gift with generic terms. As they start to uncover exactly what it is that they’re looking for, their searches get more and more specific. This means that when they are closest to making a purchase, their searches are the most specific.

Don’t Get Too Creative with Titles

When creating content on Etsy, avoid being overly creative in your titles. Although you may be tempted to display your mental prowess by extending product names, you should avoid this pitfall as it is one of the common mistakes that most sellers make.

Visitors looking for products online won’t search for unique or special names. For instance, if you are selling paintings, it would make more sense to use words such as “acrylic canvas” in titles instead of using the name of your art.

Optimizing Image Names is Not Necessary

Adding relevant titles and tags is a crucial step when optimizing the content on various websites and platforms. However, on Etsy, images are randomly accorded letters and numbers when they are uploaded. Therefore, adding titles and tags to photos will not help your position in search results.

Wrapping it Up

While you can offer the most excellent products, have the most competitive pricing, and the sharpest images of your products, if you have an uninspired listing absent from good Etsy keywords, all your work is for naught. Everything starts with selecting the keywords you choose. You want to be sure the search phrases you use will raise your visibility make more sales.

 

Need help getting your products found on Etsy?

Check out our FREE on-demand webinar to learn how to get found on Etsy

Watch the Webinar

Leave a Reply